Friday, April 3, 2015

New Series - My Journey through the Bible

Hello all!

How many of you can say that you have read the Bible?
No, I don't mean a couple of verses and chapters, or even books. I mean the whole Bible, from the beginning to the end. From "In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth," all the way to "The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen," without skipping a single verse (Genesis 1:1, Revelation 22:21 KJV).
One day, as I was lounging by the pool, a neighbor and his friends were having a long discourse about what books they have read.
Suddenly, one of them asked, "Have you read the Bible, like all of it?"
"No, the Bible is too long!" replied his friend. I could not say yes to that question either.
Back in elementary school, I had attempted to read through the Bible from the beginning. However, I read at such a snail's pace that I eventually stopped after reading Genesis. It wasn't even helped by the fact that I could not understand half of what it was saying.
However, since then, I have read books like Ruth, Esther, Daniel, Jonah, John, and Habakkuk mostly as a Pathfinder reading assignment. I can also say that I have read Matthew, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes at my father's Bible studies. With that said, I was not reading or meditating on God's Word regularly, and a lot of what I have read has faded from my memory. 
But as I attended two public high schools and a secular institution, I came to realize that people had all kinds of views, skepticisms, and interpretations regarding the Bible. 
With so many ways to look at the Bible, how can we say that the Seventh-day Adventist interpretation of the Bible is truly biblical or not? Or can we even say that there is a truly correct view of the Bible? 
So with the desire to get a complete picture of what the Bible says, along with the growing conviction to spend time regularly with God, I began again the challenge of reading the Bible during my sophomore year in college. Unfortunately, I was too focused on the sheer load of my schoolwork and other distractions of life that I barely kept up with it.
In fact, it took me more than a year to finish Genesis.
By the time I heard that question by the pool, I was in junior or senior year, and I had just started on Exodus – more than a year after I had started on my challenge. At the rate I was reading, I could easily have taken a lifetime and still not have been finished!
So did that get me started on reading the Bible everyday? Sadly, no.

http://www.mem-umc.org/mem-umc/sermon-series-the-bible-in-a-year

It was as if no matter how many times I would start on this challenge, I was continually swayed by the things around me, and I wondered how it would be possible to set aside time for God and His Word on a daily basis when there is so much to do every day.
So, to make a long story short, it was a lifetime of conviction and struggle with God to really truly have a regular devotional time with Him.
Finally, starting in June of last year, I have truly started to read my Bible every day starting with Leviticus and reaching up to where I am now, chapter 11 of 2 Samuel. So far, it has been a profound experience reading all the familiar Bible stories for myself and learning of new stories and details that I have not been aware of before. And most of all, I am amazed that it HAS BEEN possible to regularly spend time with God no matter how crazy or hectic my life has been.
I plan to continue reading, and at the pace I have been reading I believe and hope that I will finish the Bible in 4 to 5 years' time. By then, I hope to have gained a better perspective of God and of His Word.
Meanwhile, in the spirit of sharing what I have been learning, I will be blogging, ideally every month or two, about my experience. However, I will not be preaching or giving you Bible studies. Instead, I will be writing in a book report and personal diary style about the stories I have read, the lessons I have learned, and the questions that I may have.
Also, since I am in 2 Samuel, my first post(s) will be a brief recap of what I can remember about my reading and some of the most profound lessons I have learned so far.

I hope that you will join with me in my journey through the Bible and that whatever you read here will encourage you to read the Word of God for yourself. 

For my Christian friends, please pray for me that I will not stop spending time in God's Word and that the Holy Spirit will guide my understanding so that whatever I share will of blessing to you and to others who may stumble upon this blog. 
And most of all, please pray for me that with each reading, I will grow closer to God and that my life will be a reflection of who He is.


 So...let's begin!

(Picture credits to Adrien Charles-Marcel)

No comments:

Post a Comment